Correct care will insure that your scarf will last for years without losing their quality. A few important rules need to be observed as silk and wool are natural fibers and cannot be treated as debonair as e.g. synthetic fibers.
Please pay special attention to the following instructions:
- Never spray your scarf with perfume or deodorant
- Never use bleach
- Never expose your scarf to direct sunlight for longer periods of time
- Don’t spray your scarf with water while ironing
- Don’t treat individual stains with water
- Always iron the backside only. Never wring dry
In contrast to the widespread opinion that silk and wool scarves may only be dry cleaned, these products can be washed by hand without being damaged.
- Use a mild soap or specially formulated for delicate fabrics.
- Soak your scarf in lukewarm water for max. 3-5 minutes. If your scarf is dark or printed, do not let it soak. Just quickly wash it in cold water.
- Gently move the fabric during soaking from side to side. Do not wring dry! Handle wet silk or wool with even greater care as it is very delicate. After a maximum of 5 minutes remove from water and rinse the fabric with cold water adding a tea spoon of vinegar to completely rid it of the soap.
- Wrap your scarf in a dry towel to remove the remaining liquid. Use several layers when using dark or printed fabrics.
- Roll out your scarf and straighten it gently at the corners.
- Iron it; always from the inside or backside, preferably slightly moist.
- Don’t iron your scarf too hot! Silk and wool are protein structures much like human hair, heat will damage it.
Observe these considerations and you will enjoy your scarf for a very long time!